COSMETIC DENTISTRY: DENTAL BONDING
Dental bonding is a cosmetic procedure performed to correct tooth misalignments. Dental bonding is the application of a tooth-colored resin material (plastic) using an adhesive quality light. It is an excellent alternative to amalgam fillings.
When are Dental Bonding Applicable/Uses
- In case of a chipped tooth or cracked tooth
- To protect a tooth’s portion that has been exposed due to gum receding
- Discolored teeth and decayed teeth
- To improve their appearance
- In case of fractured teeth
- Gaps in the teeth
- Make teeth longer or alter their shape
The Dental Bonding Procedure
You will need to schedule a consultation with the cosmetic dentist to evaluate your candidacy and also discuss your own goals.
The cosmetic dentist will match the shade of the existing tooth to select a composite resin color that will closely match the color of your teeth.
The dental bonding procedure may require no anesthesia and there are mainly two types of Dental Bonding in India.
1st Dental Bonding Alternative (Direct Composite Bonding)
With Direct Composite Bonding, the dentist uses tooth-colored composites (white or natural-looking materials) in the office to fill the cavities, repair cracks or chips, build worn out edges of the teeth and remove spaces in between your teeth.
The composite materials may also be directly applied and sculpted to the surfaces of the teeth for cosmetic purposes.
2nd Dental Bonding (Adhesive Bonding)
- Adhesive Bonding refers to the process of a restoration attachment to a tooth. The procedure is commonly used for porcelain veneers, aesthetic crowns, bridges, inlays or onlays.
- During the procedure, the dentist will first choose a color that matches the shade of your existing teeth, she will roughen the surface of the tooth with the help of a gentle phosphoric acid solution.
- After the roughening agent is removed, a bonding agent will be applied.
- The tooth-colored putty-like resin will be applied to the tooth, molded and smoothened until the desired shape is achieved.
- A material will then be hardened using Ultraviolet curing light until the composite reaches its final shape.
Benefits of Dental Bonding
- It requires no enamel removal
- It is least expensive
- An excellent cosmetic dental procedure
- Minimally invasive and quick
- Perfect results
Disadvantages of Dental Bonding
- It is a perfect temporary cosmetic procedure, but if one requires lasting dental work, veneers or crowns are recommended
- It isn’t a permanent procedure since you will require the same procedure after a few years
- Caution is needed while biting and chewing hard things since the composite material may crack down
- They are less stain resistant
Dental or Teeth Bonding Cost
The cost generally varies with the patient’s cosmetic goals, the number of teeth to be treated, the dental clinic visited, repair required and so on. The Dental Bonding Cost in India has an average cost of $350 per tooth. Weigh your benefits and limitations before the procedures.
After the Dental Bonding Procedure
- You will have to provide the same oral care and hygiene after the bonding procedure.
- The dentist may recommend you for more visits in the first two weeks to evaluate the performance of the teeth
- Be careful when biting hard foods like sugar canes or cookies, since the dental work may get chipped.
- See the dentist in the case of any damage.