Dental Veneers are thin shells that are attached to the tooth front surface. The veneers are attached to the teeth permanently. People often think about what are the steps which will help to take care of the veneers. In this guide, we are going to share tips to take care of the veneers.
Veneers are thin shells made from composite resin or porcelain which are attached to the front of the teeth. They are the custom-made and best choice for the teeth which are worn down, chipped, stained, misaligned or even gapped.
In some cases, people also prefer the option of dental veneer when the tooth is chipped or broken. Some people get just one veneer for the chipped or broken tooth sometimes 6 to 8 veneers are needed to create an even smile. Your dentist will let you know in detail how many are needed by evaluating your condition.
Tip to take care of the Dental Veneers after placing them
With veneers, the recovery process is very less as compared to other dental procedures. Once they are cemented you can chew and eat normally. While the anesthesia effect does not go away make sure that you do not chew on the tongue or cheeks.
Sometime after the veneers are applied it can feel a little rough. The rough spots will go away after some days of normal brushing and eating. If they do not get smooth then the doctor will do that.
Fortunately, they can last for 10 to 15 years and no-prep veneers for 5 to 7 years. You must follow the doctor’s suggestion so that their lifespan is increased. Some of the precautions are given below:
- Do not chew hard substances like ice, pens, metal cap, glass bottles, or fingernails.
- Avoid using the package with the teeth.
- Avoid chewing with the front teeth. If you are eating harder food then use back teeth only. While eating chocolate you should cut them up.
- If you have the problem of grinding the teeth at night then you should wear a retainer.
- While playing sports you should wear a mouthguard.
Some Additional Tips
- Veneers also need the care the same as the teeth. You need to brush 2 times a day along with floss.
- Make sure that you choose the right type of toothpaste because some of them have abrasive substances. You should not buy toothpaste with these substances like sodium bicarbonate, hydrogen peroxide, or baking soda.
- You need to watch what you are eating because hard foodstuff will affect veneers like raw apples, carrots, hard chips, and meat with bones. Also, avoid crackers, bread, pasta, and candy.
If you are not sure what to do then you should talk to your doctor for better understanding right away.